Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Great value Alcatraz tour and sunset cruise combo
- Take an evening cruise of San Francisco Bay at sunset
- Enjoy delicious appetizers and a complimentary drink on board
- Includes award-winning Alcatraz audio tour "Doing Time", available in 11 languages
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
For Alcatraz Tour, Departure is from Alcatraz Landing, Pier 33, San Francisco Transport between Pier 33 and Pier 43 1/2 is not included.
For Red and White Fleet Sunset/Twilight cruise, Departure is from Pier 43 1/2, San Francisco. Please enter in Google Maps: "Red and White Fleet" or "Pier 43 1/2, San Francisco" for exact location and directions.
What To Expect
With your provided headset on, explore the cellblock while listening to ‘Doing Time,’ the award-winning self-guided audio tour that includes narration by former prisoners and staff. Both a military prison and a federal penitentiary during its notorious past, Alcatraz is known for high-profile inmates like Al Capone and Machine Gun Kelly. You’ll learn about the history of the prison and some of the escape attempts while you peer into individual cells.
You can also explore the grounds and look for wildlife like Brandt’s cormorants, Canadian geese and other birds. When you’re ready to go back to the city, just hop on the ferry; they depart every 30 minutes or so. Typical visiting time at Alcatraz is about 2.5 hours.
After returning to the Embarcadero, walk along the waterfront to Pier 43 at Fisherman’s Wharf to start your next on-the-water adventure—a 2-hour sunset or twilight cruise with a provided glass of wine, beer or soft drink. Enjoy fantastic views of the waterfront from the exterior deck, and glide underneath both the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge while snacking on appetizers and listening to the live guitarist and commentary from your captain. If you get cold, you can take shelter from the wind in the spacious interior deck.
Your memorable experience on San Francisco Bay concludes when you return to Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Photo ID must be presented for all passengers over 18
- Twilight/sunset cruise boat features multiple decks for viewings. Twilight/sunset cruise has a fully stocked cashless bar. Credit and debit cards accepted for additional beverages. Cruise boat is motorized and is not a sailing vessel
- No minors under the age of 18 are allowed to tour Alcatraz Island without the accompaniment of an adult. An adult must be with them at all times while on their tour of Alcatraz Island.
- All passenger names are required in order to receive Alcatraz tickets
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- The Alcatraz Cellhouse audio tour is available in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 400 travelers
- OPERATED BY Red and White Fleet
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "Audio tour is a must when you are on Alcatraz." See review
- "Since than it is so cold and windy in SF it would be nice if we had the possibility to buy something hot to drink whilst we were waiting (and freezing) for the boat for 30-45 minutes." See review
- "It was also very cold and misty so tolerance was required to be able to enjoy the cruise outside." See review
Reviews by Viator travelers. We perform checks on reviews