Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Beat the crowds and be one of the first to Alcatraz for a fascinating award-winning audio tour
- Admire fantastic city views aboard a cable car bus, a converted cable car with wheels for mobility
- Snap photos from Fort Point, and cross the iconic Golden Gate Bridge
- A boxed lunch and admission are included for added convenience
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Meet your guide in front of Pier 33 next to the lamppost across from the information booth. Tour Guide will be wearing an orange jacket and holding a flag, both adorned with the Hornblower Classic Cable Cars logo. Please arrive to check-in roughly 15 - 20 minutes prior to scheduled tour start time.
What To Expect
Set off on one of the first ferries of the day to Alcatraz. When you arrive, tour the cellblock and other areas independently using the award-winning audio guide, which includes commentary from former inmates and guards. Learn what life was like inside the jail cells of notorious criminals like Al Capone.
Once you’ve toured the island, make sure you grab a ferry to continue your San Francisco tour. Meet your guide back at Pier 33 to get your boxed lunch. You have some time to explore the pier before your cable-car tour.
Your tour stops at the Palace of Fine Arts, rides across the Golden Gate Bridge, and stops at Fort Point. Your tour ends with a drop-off at Alcatraz Landing.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- ALL TRAVELER NAMES ARE REQUIRED AT TIME OF BOOKING. Failure to provide this information will result in cancellation of your tour. Please provide all passengers' full names. Provide first name (lower case letters) and last name (upper case letters) as it appears on each passenger's identification. All passengers 18 and older must present ID to take the ferry to Alcatraz.
- Cable cars are wheeled and not on rails to provide maximum flexibility for city sightseeing
- Dress in layers as temperatures can be quite cold on the water or on the open-air cable car
- If vegetarian lunch is required, please note in Special Requirements box at check-out
- Please note: On days when traffic is exceptionally heavy or visibility is bad due to fog on the Golden Gate Bridge, the cable car will go to the bridge's viewing parking to but not cross it
- Tour Itinerary 8:00 AM – Check in with your tour guide in front of Pier 33 next to the lamppost across from the information booth. (Please see our Contact Us page for more information.) Your tour guide will be wearing an orange jacket and holding a flag, both adorned with the Hornblower Classic Cable Cars logo! Your tour guide will take your lunch order, give a quick run-down of the day, and provide you with all your Alcatraz tickets. You will board one of the first ferries to Alcatraz. 9:00 AM - Arrive at Alcatraz Island. Take advantage of more than 2 hours to explore the island, including the award-winning audio tour. 11:40 AM – Boarding begins for the 11:55 AM ferry back to San Francisco. You must be on the the 11:55 AM ferry back to San Francisco to continue the tour! 11:55 AM – Ferry departs back to San Francisco! 12:15 PM – Disembark ferry and meet your tour guide at the check-in location. Your tour guide will provide you with your lunches. You will have 30 minutes to explore Pier 33's spectacular grounds and gift shop. 12:50PM – Meet your tour guide at the check-in location, where you will be escorted to your Cable Car. 1:00 PM - Enjoy your professionally guided, premier Cable Car tour of San Francisco, where you will stop at the Palace of Fine Arts, ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, and stop at Fort Point. 3:15 PM – Arrive back at Alcatraz Landing, the end of your adventure! Thank you for riding with us!
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 26 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hornblower Classic Cable Cars
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms