We went on this Malaysia tour with my family (2 adults, 2 children) and my wife and I really liked it. This was our first visit to Malaysia, and as a half-day introduction to Malaysia, it was nice. That being said, I can understand why others may rate this trip lower.
The day went like this:
- 8:00am hotel pick-up in a van
- Drive to Johore Bahru (JB)
- Visit a traditional village home. (included an introduction to local plants and fruits, a dance performance, local fruit and drink sampling, a pewter workshop, and a gift shop)
- Visit to the Mosque with an explanation of its unique architectural features and history. (couldn't go in as I am not a Muslim)
- Visit to a Muslim Cemetery. This is unique to Malaysia as Muslims are traditionally buried in unmarked graves, but here they have adopted some British customs and it resembles a European style graveyard with a beautiful mausoleum of the Sultan and his family
- Drive back to Singapore, arrived at our hotel around 2:00pm
Things we loved about this tour:
- private and personal tour. It was only our driver, our tour guide, and us in the van so the trip felt personal and private and we went at our own pace. The driver and the guide were very flexible and accommodating.
- Very knowledgeable and friendly guide. I personally enjoyed the history of the mosque and the mausoleum as it has adopted unique characteristics and customs compared to other more traditional muslim sites.
Things we didn't like about the tour:
- Not very interesting for children. The stop in the traditional village home was interesting for my daughter as she tried some food and drinks, watched a dance performance, and saw a man working with pewter. The rest of the day she stayed in the car and just played on the I-Pad.
- The border crossing. Cool experience, but the traffic was heavy. We waited 30 minutes in the morning, and 1 hour in the afternoon. Good thing is, we didn't have to get out of the car so the kids slept.
BATTERSBY666 United Kingdom
Our driver arrived on time and the car was comfy, clean and good air con. We drove over the border to pick up our guide - this was not explained but did not cause an issue. Our guide spoke good English and was very well informed and knowledgeable. The sites we visited were not very exciting, but I wanted to visit Malaysia and this tour was ideal for our short stay in Singapore.
Horrible - guide was lousy and nothing to see! Think this was a huge ripe off, most expensive tour and the worst!
Note from Viator: Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your tour. We have contacted the tour company and have addressed your concern with them. Thank you for helping us ensure the quality of our tours.
Some content licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
© 1997–Sun Jan 22 00:43:55 PST 2017 Viator, Inc. CUR015 - 330211 All rights reserved. Viator is a registered trademark of Viator, Inc.
is a Service Mark of Viator, Inc. Travel with an Insider is a Service Mark of Viator, Inc.
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of Viator's Terms & Conditions.