Are you interested in?
- Cruise from Strahan to the Gordon River
- Enjoy the views of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area through the boat's floor-to-ceiling windows
- Visit Sarah Island, a former convict settlement and shipyard
- Enjoy a lunch or snack of local Tasmanian foods and beverages
- Select from three seating levels on the main deck or premier upper deck
- 'Quiet cruising' with electric motors on Spirit of the Wild, a brand new state-of-the-art vessel
Departure & Return
We are located in the cruise terminal on the wharf
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Depart Strahan and pass by Hells Gates, a narrow opening where the Southern Ocean meets Macquarie Harbour. As you take in the small gap—just 240 feet (80 meters)—it’s not hard to see how it got its ominous name from early sailors. Then head across the harbor, making your way to the lower reaches of the Gordon River as you pass by trout and salmon farms and the waterfront rainforest landscape of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area.
Disembark at Sarah Island, a former penal colony from the 1820s and 1830s, and watch a theatrical presentation to learn about its history, including how the island was once an important Australian shipyard, where the boats were built by convicts.
Onboard the boat, you are welcome to visit the deck for fresh air and views and enjoy a delicious, chef-prepared lunch. Your Gordon River catamaran experience ends when you return to Strahan at the cruise terminal.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infants are free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Tour is wheelchair accessible on the Main Deck only. Motor scooters are not permitted due to size limitations
- About the boat: Spirit of the Wild features a unique hybrid propulsion system allowing you to cruise quietly on the Gordon River, as well as an environmentally designed hull to ensure minimal impact on the area’s pristine wilderness; inside, the vessel provides an optimal experience for passengers with interpretive facilities with maps, photographs and guidebooks, and plenty of deck space, including a 360° Viewing Deck at the top of the vessel.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 190 travelers
- OPERATED BY The Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 4 full days before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 3 full days before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 3 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands