Walking Tour: Explore Edo Kagurazaka and Experience Japanese style Sake Bar
- Discover the charm of the Kagurazaka neighborhood on a Tokyo walking tour
- Enjoy 1 complimentary drink (choose from beer, Japanese sake, or nonalcoholic beverage) and a snack
- Visit religious shrines and places of historical interest
- Wander the cobblestone streets of Oguri Yokocho
- Watch for geisha walking and chatting in on the small streets
Departure & Return
Departure PointKEIO PLAZA HOTEL TOKYO, 2 Chome-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 160-0023, Japan
Return DetailsKagurazaka, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162-0825, Japan
What To Expect
Start your visit with a meetup with your guide in the afternoon at Shinjuku’s Keio Plaza Hotel, continuing by subway to the Kagurazaka district in Tokyo. The quiet streets of this unique neighborhood were once the home of numerous geisha houses back in the early 1900s, some of which still persist to this day.
Start your walking excursion by visiting the Tokyo Daijingu Shrine, a magnet for fortune seekers hoping to boost their romantic lives. Continue walking down Kagurazaka Street, its sidewalks lined with traditional Japanese businesses, and then proceed on to Zenkokuji Temple, known for its visually-striking red columns old stone steps and onsen (hot baths) before arriving at Wakamiya Hachimangu Shrine.
The tour moves next to Oguri Yokocho, a narrow throughway named after a famous Edo-era family. Notice the differences between this street and Kagurazaka, with Oguri offering a much more quiet atmosphere due to its many private homes.
Continue on past the former Geisha Association Office, stepping through a tight labyrinth of streets to visit the Kakurenbo Yokocho and Hyogo Yokocho areas, both of which are packed with a wealth of small family eateries, izakayas (Japanese pubs) and sometimes, even a geisha or two. Your tour finishes here. Enjoy a complimentary drink (beer, Japanese sake, shochu, fruit liquor or nonalcoholic beverage) and a snack. The tour concludes upon arrival at Kagurazaka.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Infant rates apply provided no food and drink included
- Minimum drinking age in Japan is 20 years old
- If you choose to participate in this tour during the summer, we recommend you wear a hat or visor to protect yourself from the sun. We also recommend you drink enough liquid.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- This tour will be conducted even if it is raining. Itinerary locations and itinerary order may be changed depending on weather conditions and business hours of tour locations.
- A serving of beer, Japanese sake, or non-alcoholic beverage will be provided. - Please note that in case the establishment is closed or unavailable, the tour will visit a different establishment. - Please note that, depending on the establishment visited, non-smoking and smoking seats may not be separated.
- This tour uses public transportation to Kagurazaka. Please note that seating is not guaranteed.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
See all safety measures taken by Walking Tour: Explore Edo Kagurazaka and Experience Japanese style Sake Bar .