Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Small group experience, limited to 8 people per guide, ensuring a more personalized experience
- Day trip to Iceland's Solheimajokull Glacier
- Enjoy an adventurous glacier hike with your expert guide
- Admire the rugged, ever-changing ice formations and soak in the picturesque views of the area
- Try your hand at ice climbing, with all necessary safety equipment included
- Beginners are welcome as no prior ice climbing experience is needed
- A visit to Skogafoss waterfall, one of Iceland's largest waterfalls
- Round-trip transport from Reykjavik
Departure & Return
In good conditions the ride from Reykjavik takes just over two hours without stops, with poor weather or road conditions, the journey will take longer. The distance from Reykjavík is approximately 158 km (98 mi). GPS 63°31’00.48″N, 19°22’00.12W(WGS84).
What To Expect
Start your excursion with pickup at 8:30am from authorized pick up points in Reykjavik, continuing on a scenic drive by mini-bus to the glacier, which is located in the country’s southwest. Upon arrival, meet with your glacier guide, receive a short safety briefing and get your gear for the day’s activities. Then head out onto the surface of this rugged ice formation.
Your journey takes you over the surface of the glacier’s ice tongue, so-called because it sticks out from the glacier’s main body as it crawls toward the ocean. Enjoy breathtaking views of the glacier’s rugged surface and the surrounding landscape, exploring this unique ice formation’s numerous crevasses, cracks, ridges and sink holes accompanied by your guide. Soon you’ll reach an ice wall, allowing you the chance to engage in some ice climbing. Using your included crampons, ice axes, and safety ropes, make your way up this sheer vertical wall, taking time to soak up the surreal environment and sublime views from above.
Finish your glacier adventure with a stop at Skogafoss waterfall on the way back to Reykjavik, one of Iceland’s largest and most impressive waterfalls, as it dumps millions of gallons of glacial melt water into a stream and the ocean beyond. Your glacier adventure tour ends with a Reykjavik drop off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is a small group experience tour limited to 8 participants per guide
- Minimum age is 14 years old
- It is recommended to bring warm outdoor clothing, waterproof jacket and pants, packed lunch, head-wear, gloves and good hiking shoes
- Please note that jeans are not appropriate for a glacier hike
- No prior ice climbing experience is needed to participate in this tour
- Hiking shoes, waterproof jacket and pants can be rented from the operator for a small fee
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Arctic Adventures
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "If you don't have good hiking shoes you can rent a pair onsite." See review